This node generates a random vector or a list of random vectors.
- Node Seed - Aside from the Seed input, this extra seed parameter enables you to get different random vectors if the Seed input in not free, that is, it is dependent on some property that you can’t freely controle, for instance, when using multiple Random Vector nodes in a loop while using the index as a seed, you can change the node seed to get different vectors for each node. Animation Nodes automatically changes the Node Seed when you duplicate or add a new Random Vector node.
- Create List - It is the button you see beside the Node Seed, if it is enabled, the output will be a list of random vectors.
- Seed - Seed for the random generator, where different seeds generates different random vector.
- Scale - If Normalized Vector is enabled, the scale will represents the magnitude of the output vectors, which means it will also respresents the radius of the sphere on which the vectors are located. If Normalized Vector is disabled, the scale will represents the maximum of the absolute of the values of all three components of the output vectors, which also means it represents half of the side length of the cube that bounds the output vectors.
- Count - The number of random vectors to generate. (Only available if Create List is enabled)
- Vector(s) - A random vector(s).
Advanced Node Settings¶
- Normalized Vector - If enabled, the random vectors will be uniformly distributed on the surface of a sphere. See second example below and Scale Input above.
Examples of Usage¶
Normalized Vector disabled:
Normalized Vector enabled:
Connecting close random vectors together:
The follwoing is what is know as a random walk, at each iteration, you move in a random direction by adding a random vector to your initial location, and then update your initial direction to that new position using the reassign function in loops: